Wednesday, October 8, 2014

My Name: Jenin

           To me my name means, Freedom. Free to be anybody you want. You can be a Doctor, Lawyer, Dancer or you can even run for President one day. It's almost like a right, a right to be anything you want.

           In the country I'm from, Palestine, there is a town named Jenin and my dad was born in Palestine, so my dad decided to name me Jenin because it really meant a lot to him. Palestine means a lot to my dad because in the war a lot of people died protecting their town and those are the best kind of people to my dad. In arabic, Jenin means The Gates of Heaven which somehow connect to me in ways I can't explain.

            My name is like the color green. Green for the grass and land in the town Jenin. Sometimes when I walk on grass I feel light, airy, and free in which the town Jenin will always be. I have never actually been to Jenin but I have a feeling it is very, very, beautiful.

            My name is like improvised dances where you can do anything initial. You can jump, leap, spin, turn, or even fall strait to the ground if you wanted to. You can use any type if style you want. But what you really need is to flow through the dance, to fit the music. That is what the dance would mean free and flowing.

             In school some people pronounce my name incorrectly, they think there is an extra E at the end of my name but I never mind. Sometimes I want to correct them. When they say Jenine I say no it's Jenin, I also want to say and I'm proud of it but I never do. I have never thought of changing my name. I love my name it is very special to me. This is my name, JENIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment